PBK

PBK

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Coincidences??



The occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection. *Merriam Webster

There has been an instance out here on blogland, that has my head spinning.
You see, it all began with a little frog doll that I made/make.
I had a fellow artist contact me about my frog looking stunningly similar to her paintings. After investigating, and showing everyone (that came in and out of my house the past 24 hours) photos of both, the conclusion was "yes" there is a erie similarity to the two, not exactly, but strangely enough similar.
So I googled photos of frogs, drawings of frogs, cartoon frogs, frogs, frogs and more frogs.
Just how many ways can you portray a frog you ask? Many, from what I saw, I can testify to that, but they all had the similar bulging big eyes, and that frog frown.
In this big world of creativity, I think you are bound to have similar ideas weather due to coincidence or other means.
All of the primitive crafters I have gotten to know over the years, have all said the same thing, just how many ways can you make an Annie, Teddy Bear, Mouser Doll, Sheep, Dracula, bat, cat, horse, fairy, gnome etc.........you are bound to see a similarity.
I dont think I slept more than 2 hours last night with this thought on my mind, but after today, I am standing my ground, as I am sure the other artist is as well.
I do believe great minds think alike as well as create alike.



Spinning in blogville,

Kim

5 comments:

Penny @ Miss Pootsie's Primitives said...

Kim honey, I can understand your dilemma. We all who know you can vouch for your honesty and wonderful imagination. I wouldn't give it another thought!
I had a similar thing happen. One of my repeat buyers listed some embroidered/applique pictures. The little dolls in the pictures were exact duplicates of my dolls...you know, the same rectangular head, etc. I wrote to her and told her that I was flattered! She answered and told me that my dolls WERE the inspiration for her pictures. She is actually making lots of the pictures and is making a quilt top out of them so she can display it with the dolls she has bought from me.
At first I was a bit...uhhhh.... miffed? But after I thought about it I decided that mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery, and decided to let it go.
We all know you didn't mimic anyone, but some people just are small minded and think they are the center of the world.
You are to sweet to ever hurt anyone Kim!
Love,
Penny

Penny @ Miss Pootsie's Primitives said...

P.S. (heehee)
I wanted so bad to win that painting, doggone it! *sigh*

oh.. and I misspelled the "too" in the last sentence of my message. Good grief.. is my ocd showing????

Mary said...

Kim, I've seen so many artists on eBay who list their item as "my original design," that look strikingly similar to other artists' "original design" that you start to wonder what came first ~ you know ~ the chicken or the egg?!!! LOL!

You drew the frog pattern and it's your design. Some of these persnickety people that like to go around the internet and/or eBay and find someone to bother need to get a life.

Hugs kiddo!

Mary

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denni said...

I think it's hard as like you say great minds think alike sometimes. I adore you frog dolls and think you have such talent.